Tuesday, March 25, 2008

All Sport, No Games

What counts as success?

This is a simple but deep question that keeps coming back in all of our lives. I was seriously hoping to get a job that will get me to a 5 digit salary by the time I was 10 years experienced. The expectation of youth 10 years since has changed dramatically. If such material milestones of success get shortchanged by the shifts in the wider world, what does success mean to us.

To me success is a measure on contentedness on th job and off it too. I am happy to step out of my routine to speak to myself through this blog, which is fulfilling. In my own way I am the force of thought, that inspires some people. In a way I see that as success.

In a world filled with people, no amount of material could buy out hostile sentiment. This acrimony stems from our desire to succeed and play the one-up game with the minnow that we consistently beat. It wont hurt you to teach the other guy how to win. It is so sad that we talk about games in sport and sensationalize sledging (shame of our cricket generation). True success will come when all games becomes sport. I know these are borrowed words from a movie. But they are deep and profound words of wisdom.

As long as you know that you command your respect and keep commitment to inspire, your legacy grows. That for me counts as success more than anything else. Winning at all costs is a cheap shot at success though from different eyes they might mean otherwise. But, you might end up with stains from the bloodbath which leaves sour taste after sweet success.

To sum it up, success is a true measure of how much you can rise above the games. It is about all sport, no games.

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Is there a way I can let you know 'rahul was here' and say that 'I am speechless' at the same time? - guess this was the only way i knew. ;o)

PS: yes you are. i don't 'need' to tell you... just acknowledging.